Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sunset Sail

If you know my husband Andrew, you can recognize that instant spark in his eye and smile on his face when the wind starts blowing! He's been sailing since he was four years old and there are few places he'd rather be on a windy day than on a boat. I on the other hand, grew up motor boating, to which Andrew is likely to reply "I'm sorry". Yes, there are many differences between the two, not the least of which is the vocabulary (clew, winch, cunningham, tack, jibe, halyard...who came up with these words?!). There's nothing like the peaceful tranquility of being out on the water under sail and I'd never go back to motor boating (although I'll admit to having some weak moments after tacking for the tenth time in five minutes that I do miss some of the convenience of simply turning a steering wheel!).

We don't have a boat of our own right now, but we do get to borrow some from the UW Sailing Club that Andrew was heavily involved in during our undergraduate days. Last night we impulsively decided to take a keel boat out and watch the sunset (plans to sail over to Kirkland for dinner were also involved, but didn't pan out...long story!). It was a beautiful and romantic night!

These were taken by my little point and shoot Canon Powershot A95. I wish I would have had my dSLR but I'm not allowed to take my good equipment on a boating I'm crewing (another long story!).

Leaving UW


Andrew keeping an eye on the sails


Me


Us


Gorgeous night!


See the hint of a rainbow on the left?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More beautiful shots Amber. It looks like it was a great night with a beautiful sunset! I still need to come out sailing with you two sometime.